Monday, August 8, 2016

Memory is Key- Jace- Kyle Moore

     I stood at the entrance to my college dorm. Driving here from Lebanon, Missouri was tough but... No it was just tough. The Naval Academy didn't pay for plane tickets though so driving was it. I walked into the main lobby and found nice seating, studying cadets, five to be exact sitting around one central couch table like object and studying for history I presume. One was female, the others were male. two black and two Asian descent. I walked past and went to the desk, found my room and went and organized everything. That afternoon I decided to go workout at a friends house. I had met him during a science camp at Missouri Science and Technology in Rolla when we were both fifteen. We shared the same year and month of birth but were separated by five days. My mom never did have great timing. I drove my car from the lot across from the college grounds, plebes and third class cadets aren't allowed to have motor vehicles on campus, downtown to a small neighborhood with nice houses. Few of them looked as old as they were and all of them were very taken care of. I stopped at a petite red house with deep blue shudders and a blue garage door. I could see his red truck parked out back so I walked up to the door. I knocked twice and waited for the usual reply.
   
     "Password and Identification Phrase." A very monotone voice said.
     "G. R. A. C. E. I. S. O. N. V. A. C. A. T. I. O. N." I paused to let him write it down and make sure every letter was right, "Identify Jace Sidi. Friend. Plebe Sidi reporting." I stood rigid at attention, not saluting of course stupid movies, and waited. Three clicks, a high pitched whir and the door literally slid sideways into the wall. That was new. Wait, He wasn't even there, he had a computer programmed to do it now. He has really upgraded his fortress. Maybe his parents just weren't home. I took one step in and felt the carpet give about a half-inch under me. That had been there since he had the house, but it made me freak. Something felt off. I stooped low into a natural stalking position and pulled out my bowie knife from the back of my belt. No one could see it even in broad daylight if they tried. I slid against the couch looking around the edge as much as possible to see down the hallway. The lights were off and there was no sound. I stood up a little more, man was this killing my back, and silently walked down the hallway. I turned toward his door and put my hand on the knob. Shocker. No I'm not kidding I got shocked pretty badly. Left burn marks on my fingers and melted parts of my shoes soles. I flinched and almost spassmed onto the ground if I hadn't have worn my shoes with some metal implants in the soles touching the ground. I used them because the sole never gave out like most shoes. You could wear these for two years and the sole only depressed about five centimeters. I got the feeling he had applied static shock so i touched it again and this time it wasn't shockingly electrified. Smirking at the decent job of outdoing me I turned the knob. There was more tension than there should be. Letting go of the knob I stopped down to look under the door and sure enough he had forgotten to cover. What I didn't know at the time was that he actually meant to leave it uncovered. I looked through and saw scorch marks all over the room, torn up carpet, bedding everywhere, and there he was lying in a heap in the centre of it. I stood up and kicked the door so hard it splintered all over his room. I was not loosing another person close to me. He would make three and that can't happen.

     "Scotty! What happened? Are you ok?" I stopped at are you ok to give him some time to respond. He moved his head slightly and his eyes pointed back and forth between me and the closet. I didn't get it so I looked at him inquisitively when thwack! I was hit on the back of the head with what felt like potato.

Four Hours Later

     I felt the sharpest pain in my head, and could tell there was a mound on the back of my skull from the potato.
     "Thank you for testing Sharon for us, she is a bit tempermental and you just let us know we'd fixed her. Oh, sharon is the potato gun that was responsible for knocking you out." His voice was husky, sounded Japanese. My mind couldn't handle itself and went to mush quickly. I decided to wait and see what they wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment